Pocket Scarf

I love following crafty people on social media who can sew together their own clothes and accessories. They make it look so easy, but I have tried, and it does not come to me as easily as crocheting and knitting. I started sewing together a shirt back in October and have yet to finish it because I realized, I'm going to have to hem the neckline at some point! It sounds very intimidating and I haven't done it since high school. And even then, I am pretty sure my mom did most of the work. Someday I will get back to it, when I clean up my craft room. It has become quit a mess in the last couple months and I have to reorganize everything (mostly my yarn). Where was I going with this? Oh yeah. So there has been a trend lately in the sewing world of making scarves with hidden pockets. I really wanted to make one, but I didn't want to start a new sewing project without finishing my last one, so I decided to crochet one instead. 

Here is how I made it: I used baby weight yarn, an F hook, and the Tunisian crochet stitch. If you have never worked with Tunisian, it is pretty simple! You can find helpful Youtube videos, but basically the idea is to pick up all the stitches on the row before finishing off the stitches. I worked 30 stitches across and they all fit on my crochet hook so I didn't need to buy a Tunisian crochet hook. Then I made the scarf 60 inches long and sewed the ends together with one twist in the scarf to give it an "infinity" look. Then I made the pocket by working 30 inches across again and only 10 inches long and I sewed it onto the scarf on 3 of the 4 sides. On the 4th side (open side) I easily sewed a zipper onto it. I had never worked with a zipper before on my crochet work so this seemed strange, but in the end it turned out great! It definitely doesn't look pretty on the inside of the pocket where I sewed the zipper on, but it got the job done. If I didn't have a project already sitting on my sewing machine, I'm sure I could have used the machine to sew it on with no problem! I can't wait to make this again, and the great thing about this idea is that I can do it with many patterns and not just a Tunisian stitch. 

You might be wondering what the pocket could be used for. I like to put my phone in it and listen to podcasts while I clean the house. You can also put chapstick, lip gloss, and even a sugar glider in there (although you might want to line it with some felt first).


Comments

Popular Posts