Laundry Drying Rack

I am a knitter and crocheter and make a few things using my own pattern every now and then. A lot of people ask me to share my ideas and I do, but maybe here I can keep them all organized! This post isn't even about crafting really, but I took apart an existing thing and sort of reinvented it, so... maybe?

I lived in a 1600 square ft home that had a large and disproportionate laundry room compared to my  house.  I was able to use this awesome laundry drying rack without having to move or fold it and put it away, although, if I ever needed to, it folded away and could fit easily between the wall and my washer. Well, we decided to sell the house and move into a basement apartment that did not have a laundry room, but instead a closet where the washer and dryer was kept one on top of the other under the stairs. I had to think of where to put my large drying rack where I could keep it out every day since I use all the time.

Here was my solution:  I unscrewed the white metal poles that held the mesh drying rack together and took them all off, plastic, mesh and all. Next, I unscrewed and took off one of the U shaped bars that holds the entire thing up (with the shoe holders and a skinny metal piece that holds the rack up horizontally).

Next, I bought the Ikea Sunnersta railing and hooks , attached them to the wall using anchors, and I placed the rack vertically against the wall with the middle rod resting on the hooks.

The skinny metal piece that holds the rack up then needed to be moved, so I took it out and put it in the bigger holes below it where the metal bars were holding the mesh piece together.

I have now moved to a house (that I love), but the laundry room is small. My little hack has become useful again and is now going on it's second year of being used this way. Let me know if you have any questions! And if you do this, please make sure to hang it somewhere high enough or away from kids that could bump it off the hooks! Luckily I  keep my laundry room locked so kids can't get in, but if yours is out where kids can get it, I suggest holding the middle bar (the one resting on the hooks), to the Ikea bar with zip ties to prevent it from falling off. 

*Please make and use this at your own risk. I am not responsible if the hack doesn't work or if someone bumps their head when using it. 


I use the plastic part that juts out like a hook to hang my bras or bags.





Comments

Popular Posts